Focus control from within digicamcontrol

General Discussion about digiCamControl and related photography techniques.
brian818

Post by brian818 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:48 am

I am using a Canon DLSR Rebel T1i. I need to be able to specify focus from within DigiCamControl. This is similar to manual control, where the dial to adjust the focus is in the software (not just on the camera). The camera itself is able to internally move along the focal plane to adjust and find the "optimal focus" (hence the Auto-focus feature), so the ability to alter the focus without my mechanical intervention is within the camera mechanism, but I don't see an option to alter focus in the DigiCamControl. Is this is a DigiCamControl limitation or a camera limitation (not giving developers access to focus adjustment)?

Thanks,
Brian

Advertisment

BStrauss3

Re: Focus control from within digicamcontrol

Post by BStrauss3 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:08 am

I'm working on the fix for this.

(My primary focus is in the digiCameraCmd - command line program, but I realized I was working in common code and just tested the GUI and it seems that it works).

It's tied into a lot of other stuff I'm hoping to commit this weekend. No promises however...

Are you OK with building the code as another tester for me :-) if so, the change is easy to make in Canon.Eos.Framework in EosCamera.cs - around line 556, replace this

Util.Assert(this.SendCommand(Edsdk.CameraCommand_TakePicture),
"Failed to take picture.");

by

Util.Assert(this.SendCommand(Edsdk.CameraCommand_PressShutterButton, (int)Edsdk.EdsShutterButton.CameraCommand_ShutterButton_Completely),
"Failed to press fully.");
Util.Assert(this.SendCommand(Edsdk.CameraCommand_PressShutterButton, (int)Edsdk.EdsShutterButton.CameraCommand_ShutterButton_OFF),
"Failed to release.");

BStrauss3

Post by BStrauss3 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:26 am

OK - created a pull request just for this fix so it gets in with 2.0.50 that Dukus is working on regardless of my other changes.

brian818

Post by brian818 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am

Thank you! Wow, I was giving up on software controlled focus. I'm happy to help in anyway I can as a tester, unfortunately I'm not well equipped to code much. I will look into getting it setup. Cheers!

BStrauss3

Post by BStrauss3 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:21 am

I will try to send you a PM with a link to download my current .msi file.

jeb

Post by jeb » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:40 am

Is there a version of focus control from within digicamcontrol that I can download to test with my Canon T2i?