Faster capture speed

General Discussion about digiCamControl and related photography techniques.
HoHr

Re: Faster capture speed

Post by HoHr » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:12 pm

That delay between frames got something to do with USB communication. Eclipse orchestrator can also make just 0.3 FPS, PRO version with separate serial trigger can shoot as fast as camera's burst mode.

I'm going to use my Nikon D5100 which is entry level camera not supported by orchestrator but works fine under DCC. I dismantled the camera and soldered 3 wires to the shutter release button (GND, Focus, Shutter) and glued stereo jack 2.5mm next to MIC socket. I plan to trigger the shutter with Arduino and optocoupler TLP521 and change the shutter speed via DCC without triggering the shutter over USB. That gives me freedom in FPS. I made a test and camera's buffer fills up after about 3minutes of continuous shooting at little bit faster than 1FPS (Nikon D5100 can rattle only 12 frames in burst mode). RAW only, no need for jpeg.

So far Arduino is standalone triggering shutter at given interval while DCC is changing shutter speed without knowing when the shutter button is pressed.
Would be nice to use Arduino as a serial trigger creating bridge between DCC and camera shutter release button but this solution can do the job too.

BTW I'm using two fracs, one at 330mm (420mm x 0.79 reducer-corrector) and other is 960mm (480mm x 2x barlow) FL + two D5100 on one EQ mount.

Advertisment

astronomer

Post by astronomer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Yes, after tweaking with libgphoto and other control software I came to the same conclusion. It's how camera did not asynchronously handle these events.
One way will be to use shutter cable as you had mentioned.

dtemp93

Post by dtemp93 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:10 am

What was the outcome of this?
My application requires as high of frame rate as possible with 1/4 second exposures. It seems to take 3.8 to 4.8 seconds per exposure which is far from ideal.

What is the resulting method to increase FPS?