Live View stopped working?

Support and help for digiCamControl (no bug report)
Russmeister101

Post by Russmeister101 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi all. This is my first post, and I couldn't see anything in the FAQ... Apologies if I've missed something obvious.

I have a Nikon D90 with I use exclusively for miniature photography. I'm using with a Nikkor AF-S 18-105 lens
PC is an Intel Core i5-8600K CPU running at 3.6Ghz 32GB RAM on board and a Gigabyte Aorus motherboard.
GPU is a Gigabyte GTX1060-6GB running 2 monitors 1x 1080p and 1x 4K

I can use the programme with no issues. When tethered via USB cable, any picture I take is immediately shown on the PC screen, as it should be. However, live view isn't working! :oops:

The camera makes the click like its opening the shutter when I engage live view, and the PC says that there is a live view window open, however, when I click on the window, there is nothing to be seen. In this mode, I cant take pics, as the shutter is engaged.

Any ideas? There have been some Nvidia driver updates recently... could this be the root of my problem perhaps?

Looking forward to any advice or solutions that can be offered....

Thank you

Advertisment

Russmeister101

Re: Live View stopped working?

Post by Russmeister101 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:32 pm

Great to see a support forum that gives advice... cheers all

MrPete

Post by MrPete » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:03 am

Hi Russ,
If you look at the thread on DSLR as Virtual Webcam, he has a new test driver that works better (and more simply).
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4948

Hasn't (yet?) integrated it w/ the main app.

(BTW, this is a **low** volume forum. Don't expect super-quick responses and you won't be disappointed :) :) )

Russmeister101

Post by Russmeister101 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:24 am

MrPete wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:03 am Hi Russ,
If you look at the thread on DSLR as Virtual Webcam, he has a new test driver that works better (and more simply).
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4948

Hasn't (yet?) integrated it w/ the main app.

(BTW, this is a **low** volume forum. Don't expect super-quick responses and you won't be disappointed :) :) )
Thank you for your suggestion - I've tried the mentioned app - and it does indeed work great for live-view... Sadly, I can't take photos with it. I tried running in conjunction with digicamcontrol, but unsurprisingly, there was a conflict and the camera was reported in-use.

I will await with baited breath the newer version of the S/W and see if that makes it work how it used to....

Thing is, it's massively disappointing, as I'm disabled, so getting up to the camera to centre a shot of a mini, to go back to the computer... it's all so terribly inconvenient.. Before - I could set the camera up, hit live-view and snap away, and the only thing I had to move was the subject I was shooting...

It's great software, for sure, and I don't wish to appear ungrateful. We shall see what the future holds...

fabriotti

Post by fabriotti » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:20 am

Hi Russmeister101...
Have you tried changing display resolution?
I have problems with my Dell notebook using 4k resolution. I don't see anything when I try the liveview. But if I reduce display resolution everuthing works fine.
I' don't know if you have a similar problem but...
Regards,
Francesco

fabriotti

Post by fabriotti » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:48 am

Hi!
Have you tried what I suggested? Just to see if it is a common problem with 4K resolution...
Thanks!

GSDPhotoVT

Post by GSDPhotoVT » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:27 am

Amazing ... it worked! I could not get Liveview to work reliably with my Nikon D3500 in the conventional or Astro / Bulb mode. I changed the resolution slightly on my laptop and now it appears to work perfectly. I am running Windows under "Bootcamp" on a MacBook Pro.

Thank you fabriotti!

GSD PhotoVT

fabriotti

Post by fabriotti » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:42 pm

So, it seems to be a software issue. Not a big problem because a workaround exists, but...
I'm glad it worked for you too!
Francesco