Astro features for digicamControl (PhD guiding)

Use this forum to request new features or suggest modifications to existing features
gwondaleya

Hi Istvan, i tested the new

Post by gwondaleya » Wed May 29, 2013 10:57 pm

Hi Istvan, i tested the new feature (bulb with shutter release and scripting, nikon D90). both works almost flawleslsy except:
- need to be run as admin (otherwise there is an error when closing the window, linked to the impossibility to write to C disk some files (System.UnauthorizedAccessException access to C:\ProgramData\digiCamControl\default.dccscript' is refused)
- the stop script button doesn't work
Keep the work on. you are on the right way to make a nice Nikon astro tool!!
Some suggestion for the script function, which is already nice:
add some function to the two already present( capture and wait).. i have in mind a function to send dithering command to phd (you already made more than half the way with integration of the phd client-server link, and to me that 's the most important function over the followings), eventually trigger the liveview (for example to allow refocusing, in case of), send a tone (to warn that session or capture is finished).

Nice! thank you Istvan!

Hi Istvan, i tested the new

Advertisment

loak

Missing link

Post by loak » Wed May 29, 2013 10:57 pm

For some reason, the link was dropped from my previous posting...

"http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... IQ5A8YK0AP"

Duka Istvan

Yes i use the rts signal, i

Post by Duka Istvan » Wed May 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Yes i use the rts signal, i use a home made cable using this design: http://www.beskeen.com/projects/dslr_se ... TWEAK.pdfI updated the metro lib which is used for interface and seems contain some bugs, hope this will be fixed soon. I will check the deletion. 

gwondaleya

Did notice the impossibility

Post by gwondaleya » Wed May 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Did notice the impossibility to delete a new setting!
didn't notice issues with button graphics (well, i didn't look to much, but QR code is ok with my window)
the controlled pin is RTS indeed (at least my remote trigger use this pin and it works)

gwondaleya

Loak,

Post by gwondaleya » Wed May 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Loak,
Usb to rs232 converters/cables can be found for less than 10 euros (found some less than 5, free shipping) on ebay (from China..), but to be safe, the recommended converters are the one from FTDi which are more around 15 euros, but guaranted to work (i have tested these devices on win xp, win 7 32 and 64, linux...no issues at all!!) and with plenty of software to tune the device/driver (port com number, device id, logic level of the pins, etc...)
connecting the nikon plug to this converter add another 10 euro if you want to make that clean (with a small board, small plastic package, etc ,i personnaly use an optical coupling like the 4N33 between my nikon and the rs232 converter, to avoid any bad surprise!), so you are on line for the price!!
;-)
Joël

loak

Usb to rs232

Post by loak » Thu May 30, 2013 1:00 am

One issue with many USB RS232 adapters - especially the cheaper ones, is that of the hopping of com-port numbers- especially if the adapter is plugged in to different USB ports - or cascading hubs are connected in different orders... so I was considering the idea of using a cheap micro (such as the TI MSP430), to work as a HID device (not requiring drivers) that could handle a specific data-gram output, no matter what it's address was.

With respect to the 232 to 3.5mm jack adapter (to plug in to an existing Nikon remote cable) - I completely agree that an optocoupler is the way to go, though not strictly necessary - the cost to protect your camera has to be worth it!

Duka Istvan

Somebody ha a shoestring

Post by Duka Istvan » Thu May 30, 2013 1:46 pm

Somebody have a shoestring dsusb adapter, if yes can provide some programming documentation ?

Duka Istvan

Another question about PHD

Post by Duka Istvan » Thu May 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Another question about PHD guiding:I have this avaiable commands for PHD server:        MSG_PAUSE = 1,        MSG_RESUME = 2,        MSG_MOVE1 = 3,        MSG_MOVE2 = 4,        MSG_MOVE3 = 5,        MSG_IMAGE = 6,        MSG_GUIDE = 7,        MSG_CAMCONNECT = 8,        MSG_CAMDISCONNECT = 9,        MSG_REQDIST = 10,        MSG_REQFRAME = 11,        MSG_MOVE4 = 12,        MSG_MOVE5 = 13, The question is: in which older should i execute this commands ? Or just send the MSG_MOVE[1..5] ? 

Duka Istvan

Some improvements , added

Post by Duka Istvan » Thu May 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Some improvements , added script command for phd (i don't find any way to test it without telescope, so just hoping if is working), https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/409 ... .0.554.exe

gwondaleya

As far as i known the only

Post by gwondaleya » Thu May 30, 2013 9:17 pm

As far as i known the only command to be sent, once connected to the server is MSG_MOVEx where x is between 1 and 5 depending of the dithering size you want. When done you can request to get (MSG_REQDIST) the exact value of applied movement (actually the exact movement is randomly selected in the range of dithering size.
However, once the message of dithering sent, it is recommended to wait around 40sec before redoing a photo (to stabilize mechanics)!
Other messages are not related to dithering itself!
Joël