Remote Trigger

Use this forum to request new features or suggest modifications to existing features
jrmcmillan4221

Remote Trigger

Post by jrmcmillan4221 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Is there a way to have a camera (Nikon D750) tethered to a PC using digiCamControl and trigger the shutter via a remote radio trigger? I tried it the other day and could only trigger the shutter via the digiCamControl console. Ideally, this would work in both "regular" and "live view" modes.

One situation where this capability would be ideal is when doing self-portraits and you want to be able to immediately review the results on a PC. Or, when you are taking portraits and want the subject to immediately see the results, implying the PC is by the model, not the camera.

Remote Trigger

Advertisment

admin
Site Admin

Re: Remote Trigger

Post by admin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 pm

When live view is open , all button from camera are disabled even the remote too, the camera handle in this way when USB is connected and live view is on

jrmcmillan4221

Post by jrmcmillan4221 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Ok. Thanks for the info. However, I do think I can use a remote when connected to digiCamControl via wifi. I will try this and report back.

jrmcmillan4221

Post by jrmcmillan4221 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:17 am

What I have determined is when connected via wifi, I can use a remote trigger in "regular" mode. It does not work in Live View mode.

Right now, when set to JPEG (Basic + RAW), the JPEG downloads in about 4 seconds and the RAW takes close to 20 seconds before it is displayed on the screen. I can take pictures one after another immediately, but the second image won't display until the RAW from the first image is displayed - e.g. it takes about 28 seconds from when the first image JPEG is displayed before the second image JPEG is displayed, then another 20 seconds for the RAW to be displayed, and so on for the rest. I've also found that if I get too many pictures ahead of digiCamControl, it just locks up.

Since the wifi download speeds are quite slow if downloading RAW, I'm wondering if there is a way to set it to JPEG (Basic) + RAW, but only download the JPEG file to the PC, keeping the RAW file on the camera. This would be a reasonable workaround and allow the image to show up on the PC quickly (about 4 seconds for each image), but still have the high quality RAW file on the camera for post-processing.

What do you think?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:01 am

You can set to not download raws (but the transfer mod should be Camera+PC) :
Session->Edit..-->Download JPG only
Which version do you use ?

jrmcmillan4221

Post by jrmcmillan4221 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:05 am

I didn't realize that was an option. It works perfectly. Thanks! I'm using 2.0.49.0. The latest beta save the files in a format which cannot be read (see my thread in the "bugs" section).