Recommended Canon DSLR for astrophotography?

Talk about everything except digiCamControl. No spam.
Mbrra

Post by Mbrra » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi,

I am considering buying a new Canon DSLR for astrophotography as I want to tether my camera to a laptop and can't do that with my current DSLR. I am doing fixed tripod astrophotography at the moment but want to buy a good DSLR for astrophotography through a scope too and daytime photography. My budget would be up to about $1000 or so and I want to get one that is a step or two up in quality from the Nikon D3100 that I am using now. Can anyone recommend a suitable Canon DSLR for me? As I said I plan to use tethering software to tether to a laptop so I need one compatible with some good software like Backyard EOS. I read that the Canon EOS 750D is a recommended camera for astrophotography and I can get it with an 18-55mm IS STM kit lens for around $1000. Would this be a good choice? Any camera I buy would need the exposure bracketing function for HDR photography as well. Any advice is appreciated.

Advertisment

Andrew Cool

Re: Recommended Canon DSLR for astrophotography?

Post by Andrew Cool » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:06 pm

If you're happy to buy second hand, I'd suggest a Canon 6D, which is a full frame camera that is well proven and respected in astrophotography circles.

Andrew