Astro features for digicamControl (PhD guiding)

Use this forum to request new features or suggest modifications to existing features
Wolsley

Another request

Post by Wolsley » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:05 am

Istvan,Is is possible to display the camera's temperature?  I know my Nikon D5300 camera has a temperature sensor inside it that Nikon uses to shut the camera down if it gets too hot.  The high-end CCD astro camera have elaborate coolers on them to regulate their temperature.  Knowing the camera's temperature would be useful because I could note this temperature while I am taking astrophotos.  I also need to take several "Dark" exposures as well to compensate for thermal noise issues.  These are suppose to be taken with the lens cap on and should be done for the same exposure time and camera temperature.  Typically I take the "darks" the next day so it would be useful to know how different the camera temperature is.

Another request

Advertisment

stefanchm

How to use astronomy and phd guiding

Post by stefanchm » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm new. I'm interesting in astrofoto. This application is very, very good but I don`t know how to use phd guiding. Does anybody have manual about astronomy feature and in particular phd guiding 

Wolsley

Phd Guiding Introduction

Post by Wolsley » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:21 am

PHD Guiding requires a second camera that is dedicated for guiding.  Going to YouTube and searching for "phd guiding" will allow you to view lots of videos about how to use PHD Guiding and also see how others are using PHD Guiding.  It's a steep learning curve but very interesting to learn.

Konstantin Menshikoff

Waiting time counter

Post by Konstantin Menshikoff » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Hello Istvan, first of all, I'd like to tell you than you very much for your brilliant product!It covers most of my astrophotography needs.Then, exposure time counter, that you have already implemented, is very useful feature, so could you please to implement the same counter for waiting time? It would be useful to know the time before the next exposition begins.

Duka Istvan

I just checked there is

Post by Duka Istvan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:16 pm

I just checked there is countdown for waiting too (with a minor display bug), or maybe is misunderstand something.... 

Konstantin Menshikoff

countdown for waiting

Post by Konstantin Menshikoff » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:30 pm

I've installed version 1.2.0.0 and don't see any waiting countdown - only something about "Waiting ... 7 s" message on the screen until the next shot starts.Maybe you have implemented waiting countdown in a new beta version? My camera is Nikon D800. Infortunately log file doesn't contain any information about exposition and waiting time parameters or maybe it's possible to output them setting some properties?

Konstantin Menshikoff

scripting output

Post by Konstantin Menshikoff » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:36 pm

I forgot to send you info about my operation system - it is Windows 8.1 ([Version 6.3.9600]).Another suggestion is about scripting output.I've thought, that <echo> output doesn't work, till I've found that it apperas for a very little time between previous(<bulbcapture>) and following(<wait>) commands output. So for current one-line output mode it is almost useless. Maybe it make sence to create separate window for scripting output with scrolling features?

Wolsley

Relating Starsize indication to FWHM values

Post by Wolsley » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:06 am

Just in case anyone wonders about the astroliveview starsize values.  They can be directly converted into FWHM values using the following relationship: STARSIZE = 3.1415 /4 *(FWHM)^2    ;STARSIZE is the area of a circle whose diameter is the equivalent FWHM.   Conversely, FWHM = sqrt(STARSIZE * 4 / 3.1415) FWHM = Full Width Half Maximum; units are pixels I like using the STARSIZE value because it's easy to calculate and it increases as the square of FWHM.  This makes the STARSIZE value more sensitive when compared to it's equivalent FWHM value.