recording Audio

Support and help for digiCamControl (no bug report)
esteve59

recording Audio

Post by esteve59 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:54 pm

Hello,
I have a Nikon D5200 and I would like to record videos of me playing guitar.
IF i record with only the 5200 it works woth both an internal and external mic. IF I record thru digicam the audio is very low volume.
I tried with both internal and external mic and I saved the file to both the PC and the camera but still is VERY low.
Is this software capable of doing something like this,,,??
AM I doing something wrong ?

Thank you,
Steve B

recording Audio

Advertisment

Duka Istvan

Re: recording Audio

Post by Duka Istvan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi, you can use software to record sound separately for video. Try to change camera microphone sensitivity settings in camera menu Shooting Menu->Movie settings->Microphone

aba

Post by aba » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:59 pm

It is not easy to record with an external mic via the Nikon Camera. As far as I know that is a Nikon bug. There is a workaround: You first have to switch the camera on without USB and activate live view, then de-activate live-view and than (without shutting down the camera) hook it on with an USB cable. Otherwise the Nikon camera will always use the internal microphone. When you switch to live view in digicamcontrol you can see the audio level. It sometimes takes a few seconds until you get a signal (at least with my Nikon D5300). I use an external microphone that way and set the audio level in the camera on manual.
We must be very thankful that Duka Istvan made this tool, as fas as I know the only tool where you can see the audio level. On my laptop I have frequent crashes, but I will ask Duka to look into that in an other thread.

ShoopShoop8

Post by ShoopShoop8 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:11 pm

I am having the same problem. I got an external mic to plug into my Nikon D5200 but I can't get it to work. Digicam only seems to recognize the internal mic. I think this is a Digicam software problem and NOT a Nikon problem, as I seem to be able to get the external mic to work when not plugged into Digicam. The workaround above does not seem to work for me.

I am going to try to record the audio separately and sync them up later?