Software thinks camera is taking pictures (timelapse)

Support and help for digiCamControl (no bug report)
UConn Multimedia

Post by UConn Multimedia » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:04 pm

I am using the digiCamControl software with a Canon 700D camera. I am trying to execute a long-term timelapse over the course of several months, but am having an issue. Every day at 6 pm, the camera stops taking pictures but the software thinks that everything is still working fine. I have the interval set to take 1 picture every 10 minutes and to stop at 1000 pictures. I start the camera in the morning and then I check the next day to see if it’s working properly. Invariably, the software appears to be counting down and keeping track of the photos, but the camera has stopped clicking. Every time I check the destination folder to see when the actual last photo was taken, it is always around 6 pm. There are no error messages in the software and it thinks the camera is still taking pictures. Any idea what could be the issue?

Thanks!
Attachments
app.log
(210.11 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
Last edited by UConn Multimedia on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisment

admin
Site Admin

Re: Software thinks camera is taking pictures (timelapse)

Post by admin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Please upload your log file

UConn Multimedia

Post by UConn Multimedia » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:24 pm

I am using the digiCamControl software with a Canon 700D camera. I am trying to execute a long-term timelapse over the course of several months, but am having an issue. Every day at 6 pm, the camera stops taking pictures but the software thinks that everything is still working properly. I have the interval set to take 1 picture every 10 minutes and to stop at 1000 pictures. I start the camera in the morning and then I check the next day to see if it’s working properly. Invariably, the software appears to be counting down fine and keeping track of the photos, but the camera has stopped clicking. Every time I check to see when the last actual photo was taken, it is always around 6 pm. There are no error messages in the software and it thinks the camera is still taking pictures. Any idea what could be the issue?

I've attached the log file.

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi, how i see in the log file you are using a old version, there was a error when camera failed to focus then after isn't do any more capture but this error is fixed in the latest beta

You can reproduce this error making camera to fail to focus

UConn Multimedia

Post by UConn Multimedia » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:11 pm

I am having trouble installing the beta version. I am getting an error message that says: Setup Failed ... 0x80072ee7 - Unspecified error. I've attached the log file and a screen shot for you to see. Any ideas?
Attachments
Screenshot-(5).jpg
Screenshot-(5).jpg (232.34 KiB) Viewed 9840 times
digiCamControl_20170609154156.log
(7.98 KiB) Downloaded 517 times

UConn Multimedia

Post by UConn Multimedia » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Do you know if there is a workaround for this error in the stable version of the software? I am having trouble installing the beta version (see prior post). I've tried to uninstall/reinstall the stable version, clear cache, etc. and no matter what I do, the camera stops taking pictures every night at around 6:00 pm.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Only workaround i see is to set the camera in manual focus mode

UConn Multimedia

Post by UConn Multimedia » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Setting the camera to manual focus mode worked! Thanks for the advice. The camera no longer stops every night at 6 pm. However, the camera now takes timelapse pictures for a few days and then stops and flashes an error that says "Device busy. Failed to take picture." I've attached the log file. Any idea what might be the cause of this issue?
Attachments
app.txt
(76.74 KiB) Downloaded 544 times

Duka Istvan

Post by Duka Istvan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:04 pm

Unfortunately nothing relevant in log file, try to check the sdcard if there enough space on it.
Which transfer mode do you use ?

UConn Multimedia

Post by UConn Multimedia » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:11 pm

I have been recording the images to an external hard drive and have the transfer mode set to "PC only." Would you recommend saving the images to an SD card and choosing "camera only" in this situation? Also, I see in the settings there is something called "Load Canon transfer mode." I am using a Canon camera. Should I check or uncheck this for the best performance? Thanks!!!