Recommended Canon DSLR for astrophotography?

Talk about everything except digiCamControl. No spam.
Mbrra

Post by Mbrra » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi,

I am considering buying a new Canon DSLR for astrophotography as I want to tether my camera to a laptop and can't do that with my current DSLR. I am doing fixed tripod astrophotography at the moment but want to buy a good DSLR for astrophotography through a scope too and daytime photography. My budget would be up to about $1000 or so and I want to get one that is a step or two up in quality from the Nikon D3100 that I am using now. Can anyone recommend a suitable Canon DSLR for me? As I said I plan to use tethering software to tether to a laptop so I need one compatible with some good software like Backyard EOS. I read that the Canon EOS 750D is a recommended camera for astrophotography and I can get it with an 18-55mm IS STM kit lens for around $1000. Would this be a good choice? Any camera I buy would need the exposure bracketing function for HDR photography as well. Any advice is appreciated.

Advertisment

Andrew Cool

Re: Recommended Canon DSLR for astrophotography?

Post by Andrew Cool » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:06 pm

If you're happy to buy second hand, I'd suggest a Canon 6D, which is a full frame camera that is well proven and respected in astrophotography circles.

Andrew

GamerGox

Recommended Canon DSLR for astrophotography

Post by GamerGox » Tue May 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Thanks The next question will obviously be what lenses youre using and how good they are?

BarryPrend

Recommended Canon DSLR for astrophotography

Post by BarryPrend » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:34 am

Anyone know if the lens twist method with Canon lenses works with the metabones adapteron the A7R III? Wouldnt mind switching to Sony for timelapse but dont want to deal with flicker.