Slow capture rate when using Motion Detection in Live View

Support and help for digiCamControl (no bug report)
kempdave

Post by kempdave » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:48 am

I’ve been very pleased with the motion detection capabilities of DigiCamControl so far, but my goal it to have a burst of images captured (ideally at the frame rate of my camera for a 3 or 4 seconds) after a motion event is detected. Right now, after a motion event is detected, I can capture a series of image (using a Capture Count of 5), but these images are recorded at a rate of about 1 FPS – when my camera (Nikon Z7) should be able to capture at a rate of about 9 FPS (continuous high speed).

Is there any way I can speed up this capture rate? My Capture Delay is set to zero, so I’m not sure where this delay is coming from.

I have read elsewhere that it might be due to the write speed of my card, and that the software is unable to make use of the camera’s buffer, so it must wait until the image has be fully written to the card before triggering another capture. If that is the case, is there some way (perhaps through a TCL script) to simply have the capture signal be continuous for a duration of time in a way similar to holding down the shutter release button in a continuous high-speed release mode? I don’t need the images saved to my computer (currently set to save to camera only), and don’t need the full 9 fps, but do need more than 1 fps.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

(I’m using a Nikon Z7 with a Sony XQD card, and all my settings are set to manual including focus).

Advertisment