Extremely Bad Video Quality on Nikon D3400

Support and help for digiCamControl (no bug report)
troschkanini

Post by troschkanini » Tue May 18, 2021 4:55 pm

Hey, before i start off, i have to say i am a complete Camera Noob.

I have bought a Nikon D3400 2 or 3 years back to use it as a camera for family photos. I have almost 0 camera knowledge, so i ALWAYS used the camera on "Auto Mode".

Since i am streaming sometimes and i remembered i had my old D3400 laying around, i figured i could use the D3400 instead of my janky 480p webcam for streaming.

I hooked it up via USB to my computer and i am using an AC adapter to keep the camera running without having to change the battery every second hour or so.
(this is the Adapter im using for power, but i dont think its possible the quality lowers through it?, https://www.amazon.de/Kamera-Netzteil-N ... ljaz10cnVl)

I know that the D3400 is not a top notch DSLR camera but the quality i get from it is totally horrible. It is almost no difference to my old 480p webcam (which is not connected to the pc atm.). I will attach a picture of the quality. I still have the camera on Auto Mode but I tried to lower the ISO, the shutter etc. in hopes of anything changing the quality for the better, even if i didn't really know what I am doing. But nothing helped. Also, the room might look a little bit dark on the picture but it is almost normal daylight. I even tried using some ringlights to get it a bit brighter but it didn't help either.

Do you guys have an idea why the quality is THIS bad?

Greetings!
Attachments
dslr3400digicam.jpg
dslr3400digicam.jpg (127.02 KiB) Viewed 5334 times

Advertisment

admin
Site Admin

Re: Extremely Bad Video Quality on Nikon D3400

Post by admin » Thu May 20, 2021 4:46 pm

Unfortunately all Nikon DSLR provide very low resolution live view image even for high end cameras , this image is used by the software because no other way to stream image from camera using USB connection so nothing can be done. Try to raise exposure compensation direct from camera and after that connect the usb cable and start the application maybe helps with darker image