Tethered shooting with extension cable

Support and help for digiCamControl (no bug report)
RoyGee

Post by RoyGee » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:11 pm

Good day:)

I have only recently started using dCC for tethered shooting with my Nikon D5300. Thank you so much for the sotware - it is really great!

My problem is that I could only find a 1.5m cable, which is somewhat limiting. I have tried using a 5m extension, but, although the computer picks up the camera, dCC does not.

Any ideas?

Advertisment

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tethered shooting with extension cable

Post by admin » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:17 am

Depends on cable quality maybe windows recognize the camera but the communication isn't stable enough for larger data transfer. You can try to use a separately powered usb hub with the cable or try a another brand cable. Some time ago i used a Nikon D7100 with a 5 m USB cable and was working right
Additionally please upload your log file from c:\ProgramData\digiCamControl\Log\app.log

RoyGee

Post by RoyGee » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:28 am

Thank you - I believe the cable is of good quality as I have used it for other file transfer applications, but I'll try a powered hub (if I can find such a thing!)

I have edited the log file to delete activity before I tried the extension cord as it was too large to attach
Attachments
app.log
(30.73 KiB) Downloaded 445 times

saidel

Post by saidel » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:44 pm

RoyGee wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:28 am Thank you - I believe the cable is of good quality as I have used it for other file transfer applications, but I'll try a powered hub (if I can find such a thing!)

I have edited the log file to delete activity before I tried the extension cord as it was too large to attach
Did you ever find a cable that goes from the D7100 accessory port to a laptop USB?...I had one and then ran over it with my lawnmower. Haven't been able to find a replacement. And FYI, I was able to control shutter, focus, exposure, and a variety of other features with DigiCamControl before I shredded the cable.