D5000: Inability to focus causse camera to hang when capturing images

Report bugs and errors to the digiCamControl development team.
matthiasbasler

Post by matthiasbasler » Tue May 14, 2013 9:45 pm

As a first time user I did a quick test of some of the application functions, among them capturing images in LiveView mode.
I captured a first photo, but the camera would afterwards hang and the progress indicator run indefinitely (line 30 in log). The picture never arrived on my HDD. (I have DCC set up to send images to the PC only.)
Problem is, I got no real error message. Just when I tried to invoke further LiveView functions the DCC told me I were not in LiveView modus any more (Lines 31-49 and 56ff in log). I could not cancel the action, so I had to switch the camera off an on again to continue working.

Afterwards I was successful just taking a picture in normal (non-liveview) mode and then in liveview mode too.

I then tried the exposure bracketing mode with a configuration of 5 steps. After two steps the camera would come to a halt, again without any error message. (Line 198 in log)
A subsequent, second try was successful - all 5 photos taken and transferred.

P.S. The photos were shot indoors in the early evening. Obviously the contrast detect focus had problems under these conditions.

To sum up:
- The inability to focus an image obviously causes the camera to hang or to cancel an exposure bracketing.
- The error messages at the bottom right of each window - if shown at all - are too inconspicuous in order to really make the user notice: Hey, your camera has just crashed because you tried to capture an image although I didn't find a focus. (For example I only realized I had focus problems by reading the log file now!)

Win7 SP1, DCC1.0.0, Nikon D5000 with firmware A 1.00, B1.00 L1.001

Advertisment