Adding Arduino real event Plugin to DigiCamControl

Use this forum to request new features or suggest modifications to existing features
jamesbdunn

Post by jamesbdunn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:20 pm

DigiCamControl interfaces with DSLR USB for interfacing with camera functions and data remotely; the shutter, focus, aperture and other functions.

Arduino is a low cost micro-controller that monitors and manipulates real world events; versions range in function and price from $1 to $100; with the $4 version being quite functional.

eBay Arduino microcontrollers
http://tinyurl.com/zg9lqfc

eBay Arduino sensors & actuators
http://tinyurl.com/zn8arfg

Some of the Arduino microcontrollers available, they all program with a common simple programming code

Arduino home page

http://arduino.cc

A Similar DigiCamControl / Arduino project forum topic similar to this one in Arduino forum:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=379122.0

DigiCamControl is a free "open source" software and has a forum of developers that does very well at interfacing with these camera functions, and has device drivers for a large number of the cameras with remote control features.

Arduino similarly is free "open source" software and has a forum of developers that does very well at interfacing with the real world and related sensors and actuators. Both use USB interfaces with the PC computer.

Can a Plugin or other feature be built to interface DigiCamControl with Arduino microcontrollers?

What seems to be missing is an Arduino sequencer to automatically coordinate complex real world events with camera functions:
  • DigiCamController usb trigger to Arduino to implement a controlled event before, during, and/or after camera function
  • At the end, or during, Arduino controlled event, control camera functions and monitor data to the controller and/or computer to make decisions
  • Arduino protocol to remotely control DigiCamController functions from Arduino
  • Interfacing with RoboRealm (graphic recognition) or other PC software
  • ... other relationships I am sure I am missing
Having a DigiCamControl interface with Arduino would revolutionize certain photographic art techniques available to the novice photographer, supplement capacity for the film and news industry, and provide easy access for capturing certain types of scientific data for teachers and researchers.

One of hundreds of techniques Arduino with cameras could produce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Oq-rD7i-0

The times and positions during various types of physics experiments for instance. Or the type of photography where the camera pans around a subject while captured in motion. Reporters capturing consistent frames of a subject while bouncing around in a moving vehicle. Or, detecting your cat jumping up on the kitchen counter and taking a picture or video of kitty in flight just after making a loud noise to get kitty off the counter.

So what is this topic about?
  • Is there already a DigiCamControl / Arduino project that already does this? I may not be using good search keywords.
  • How do I set up a group development space for this proposed group Plugin Project?
  • How do I link sub-projects people develop to the main project? Once an interface is set up, I would think Arduino programs and setups would be abundant related to special effects and how to set up related educational apparatus. Just randomly listing topics does not seem elegant.
  • What is the project management sequence used to approach this kind of project?
This proposed project is intended to become a Remotely Controlled Arduino utility toolbox for working with DSLR cameras. However, almost any camera could be controlled with a servo or switched contact, so the usefulness would not be limited to DSLR cameras. Even cheap $5 keychain cameras could be controlled to provide inexpensive special effects (holographic imaging or CNC digitizing as examples).

Advertisment

Duka Istvan

Re: Adding Arduino real event Plugin to DigiCamControl

Post by Duka Istvan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:30 am

I'm a lite bit busy in this weeks, but after that i will try to make a general plugin for arduino. I use this device myself too, but also i need some circuit schematics and some arduino code.
The application already have a plugin which working with arduino the Water drop plugin and the Usb relay plugin can be used with arduino too because just send command via serial comm port

Cyril

Post by Cyril » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:26 pm

This Arduino plug in would be awesome ! I could use your software to control my panasonic camera.
Please please please :)

Duka Istvan

Post by Duka Istvan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi, this already added with latest beta http://digicamcontrol.com/blog/news_2.0.45

Jiou

Post by Jiou » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Hello,

Thank you very much for the plugin that could be useful to me. However I didn't manage to make it work. How am I suppose to configure digiCamControl and the Arduino?

I wrote "Serial.println("#C#");" in my Arduino code and I associated "#C#" to the "Capture" event in the Custom command #1 box in digiCamControl. What am I missing?

Notice that I do not use "arduino shutter release" at the same time.

Thank you

Duka Istvan

Post by Duka Istvan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi, please try the latest beta and send me your lg file (Menu=>Help=>Send log file)

Jiou

Post by Jiou » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:49 pm

Thank you for your fast answer. It finally worked when I restarted the software after everything is set up.
However, some of the trigger events are skipped. I still don't know if it is because of the Arduino. I am investigating.

I just sent you the log file.

Best

yneptik

Post by yneptik » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to use this tool.
I use the sames setting as the ones on this screenshot http://digicamcontrol.com/wip

Nothing happens. Even when I "show the buttons" and I click on the corresponding button for Capture, nothing happens.

In advance thanks, this soft is great.

gauthier

Post by gauthier » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:59 pm

Hello I am trying to use this interesting tool.

Just like Jiou I use "Serial.println("#C#");" in my Arduino code and I associated "#C#" to the "Capture" event in the Custom command #1 box in digiCamControl.

I do not use arduino shutter release.

I monitor the serial port (COM4 in this case) and I can see the line #C#.

I expect a capture event when arduino prints "#C#" on the serial port. But nothing happens (the camera is on, and recognized).

You help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gauthier