App crashing, errors. Log attached.

Support and help for digiCamControl (no bug report)
PistonHonda

Post by PistonHonda » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:18 pm

I was hoping that we could use DigiCamControl for a large project for some book capture that we are doing. Here is our setup:
  • A book cradle with two cameras
  • A Desktop Dell PC (beefy specs)
  • At first we were using 2 Canon Ti3s, but since we were having issues we upgraded to 2 Canon EOS RPs
  • Tethered shooting with USB C cables. We have tried to an external HDD (Preferred) and a local HDD (C:). We do not have memory cards in the cameras. (We have tried save to PC, save to card, or save to both)
  • Battery couplers with AC adapters on each camera
  • USB Pedal Trigger that sends an "H" to digicam, which is bound to "capture all"

Sometimes, it just works. When it is working, its glorious - we love this software. We have a delay on Camera 2 setup so it takes a picture 1 second after the first (to retain the book order), and we are able to number images so we can easily post process them.

However, about 60% of the time, the app crashes, freezes, or we get some errors. Here is what we are facing:

1. The biggest issue is that one the cameras just decides to stop working or the app crashes. When a camera stops working, it stops capturing, live view doesn't work (which we use on every shot for both cameras), and we have to restart the startup procedure (close digicam, power down cameras, power up cameras, restart digicam - sometimes we have to restart the computer). This happens about every 20 minutes.

2. We get errors like "Did not press button firmly" or "Cannot save to backup device" or "error 81". Note: When we get the "cannot save to backup" error, the files still write to the HDD, so that isn't a problem.

3. We also see "Device Busy".

I don't know if these errors are valuable in helping us identify what we can do to make the software more stable. I'm really hoping we can make this work. I have attached our log files as well.

Thanks again for all you do with this software.

Note: When I searched your forum, I could not get any results to come up. For instance, if I search for "81" I get no results, but when I search Google for "Canon Error code 81" your website is the first result. FYI.
Attachments
app.log
(92.56 KiB) Downloaded 137 times

Advertisment